What is Protect Our Planet?
Protect Our Planet (POP) is an initiative designed to address the urgent need to share information and knowledge with youth on solutions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the UN, mitigate climate change and adapt to its growing impacts. Intended to ultimately reach the size, scale, and momentum to become a global movement, POP mobilizes the youth worldwide to take collective action needed to mitigate climate change and protect threatened ecosystems.
Why is POP Important?
There is a yawning gap in knowledge and awareness and a huge inertia for implementing climate change solutions locally, nationally, and globally. Given that there are 1.8 billion young people worldwide between the ages of 10 and 24 years (UNFPA, State of the World Population, 2014), this movement is crucial for creating and serving a massive demand for climate change action and protecting the earth's ecosystems. Knowledge about climate change solutions are provided as a main thrust of the POP Movement .
The POP Movement's Key Goals Are To:
1. Mobilize young people globally to Protect Our Planet and promote collect action among youth to implement solutions needed to mitigate climate change and adapt to its impacts
2. Recognize and reward youth-led actions, exemplary initiatives and success stories
POP Movement's Activities:
The POP Movement undertakes a range of activities to achieve its goals, including:
1. Conducting training, workshops, and online courses
2. Hosting global, annual events where innovative students are chosen as POP Stars, POP Icons and outstanding teachers, as POP Maestros
3. Supporting action in schools, colleges, universities, and communities-led by youth